Friday, June 17, 2011

Winslow Farr Jr Journals

Taken from:

by Wilma S. Smith and Randall A. Smith

The first entry in Winslow's journal reads:

"Winslow Farr Junior was born may 11, 1837. I now at the age of 18 th and in my 19th year I do commence a brief sketch of my life beginning at May 1, 1856."

Winslow Farr Jr., born on May 11, 1837, was a baby in his mothers arms when his parents, Winslow Farr Sr. and Olive Hovey Freeman Farr, sold their family farm in Charleston, Orleans Co., Vermont. The Farr family, including older brothers' Lorin and Aaron with sisters Olive and Diantha began their westward trek to join the Mormon Saints in Kirkland, Ohio.

The Mormons, including the Farr family, moved to Far West, Missouri. When persecutions drove the Mormons from Missouri, the Farr family first moved to Quincy, Illinois, then further north to Lima, Illinois and in the spring of 1849 moved to Nauvoo. With persecutions mounting, the Saints were once again forced to flee "Nauvoo the Beautiful". By the summer of 1847 the Farr's were situated across the Missouri River at the settlement of Winter Quarters which is now known as Florence, Nebraska.

Departing on June 15, 1850, the Farr family traveled by covered wagons with the President Joseph Young Company for the westward journey to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake. Thirteen year old Winslow Jr. drove a team of oxen across the vast plains and rugged Rocky Mountains. The Company arrived in Salt Lake Valley on September 30, 1850.

Winslow Jr.'s father established a farm southeast of the Salt Lake settlement near the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Winslow Jr. helped his father clear and cultivate the land. The westward sojourns affected Winslow Jr.'s ability to regularly attend school. Nevertheless, he left his descendants a number of diaries. The first diary began May 1, 1856 and concluded with a final entry on July 10, 1910. There are gaps in his diaries of a few weeks to several years.

In 1974, Wilma became aware that a friend, Mr. Dennis Rowley, had been appointed Curator of Manuscripts and Documents at the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University. Mr. Rowley advised her if Winslow Jr.'s diaries were donated to the BYU Library archives, the journals would be transcribed and preserved as a part of the library's Historical Collection. Wilma's mother, Mabel Farr Decker, had two volumes of Winslow Jr.'s diaries. Mabel and Wilma contacted other members of the Farr family who also had original journals in their possession. After explaining the benefits of having the diaries, in one collection at the Harold B. Lee library archives, all parties agreed to the donation.

We wish to personally acknowledge the following cousins, all of whom are now deceased, who readily agreed to donate their journals. Each of the following persons received a transcribed and hard back printed copy of the complete collection.

Mrs. Mabel Farr Decker (granddaughter of Winslow & Emily Jane Covington Farr);

Mr. Leo Hurst (grandson of Winslow & Melvina BinghamFarr);

Mrs. Evelyn Farr Mower (granddaughter of Winslow & Emily Jane Covington Farr);

Mrs. Arthella Farr Eckersly (granddaughter of Winslow & Melvina Bingham Farr).

We wish to acknowledge Mr. Eldon W. Payne, husband of Lucy Farr Payne (daughter of Winslow & Melvina Bingham Farr) both now deceased who in 1950 loaned two volumes of Winslow's diaries to BYU for transcription. Volume 1 includes the years 1856 to 1881. Volume 2 includes the years 1884 to 1889. Transcriptions were made for the Harold B. Lee Library and the LDS Church genealogical library. Copies of the volumes, donated in 1974, are available in the archives at BYU for review by the defendants of Winslow Farr Jr.

The collection is missing the journals that cover the time from June 1881 to September 1885. We would appreciate any information about the existence and location of any of Winslow's diaries or other documents and letters. In his writings, Winslow kept a record of the many letters he sent and received. Joanne Bar Farr generously donated a copy of two letters written by Winslow to his daughter, Lettie Farr (daughter of Winslow & Matilda Halverson Farr). A copy of a letter Winslow wrote in 1871, to a Brother Barnes in England, was donated by Inez Cazier Farr. Three letters written to church authorities while serving on his mission in England, were donated by Pam Bott. We will share these documents in a later edition of the Winslow Farr Sr. Family Organization newsletter.


Ode to Spring composed by Winslow Jr.

And now the dreary winter is past

The sun displays its morning breeze

And brings us good news at last

With the buds upon the trees

When but a month or two ago

The hills in snowy garb was clad

And the grass has now put forth

The birds have now arrived

From their long and southern home

In these peaceful vales to live

And no more now to roam

The meadowlarks are happy and doth sing

And echoes warbling notes so shrill

It seems to say it now is spring

And now will sing its fill

On June 15th, 1850, Winslow Farr Sr., his two wives (Olive & Almena) & Winslow Farr Jr., embarked, by wagon train with Captain Gardner Snow, for their westward journey to the Great Salt Lake Valley. The Farr's traveled with the second fifty wagons, under the leadership of President Joseph Young's Company of 100 families. Winslow Sr. served as one of President Young's counselors. Thirteen year old Winslow Jr., walking barefoot, or at times wrapping his feet in burlap, drove a team of oxen across the plains and Rocky Mountains. The company arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on September 30, 1850.

Winslow Jr., his mother and father, held a joyful reunion with brothers Lorin, Aaron and sister Olive Farr Walker. His older siblings had journeyed to the Utah valley three years earlier, in 1847. The Farr family also bowed their heads with sadness in remembrance of their deceased 21 year old sister, Diantha Farr Clayton. Diantha, the plural wife of William Clayton, died on September 11, 1850, after giving birth to her third child.

Brigham Young sent surveyors along the Wasatch Mountain Range to plot sections of farm land near creeks and streams to be channeled for irrigation. Aaron Farr and William Walker, the husband of Olive Farr Walker, joined a group of Saints, led by John Holladay in 1849, to build several cabins southeast of the Salt Lake Settlement along the Big Cottonwood Creek. The first homes built between 1848-1860 were log cabins with dirt floors and sod roofs. Rattlesnakes were such a problem they were eventually abandoned.

According to a report written by Dean McLeod for David J. Farr, John D. Lee was allotted 112 acres of farm land in the Holladay-Cottonwood Settlement in 1850. The report goes on to state that the following year, when John D. Lee was called to a colonizing mission in Southern Utah, Winslow Farr Sr. acquired 106 1/4 acres of John D. Lee's property.

Church records also indicate that Winslow Farr Sr. maintained a home in the Salt Lake Settlement.

There is no indication in Winslow's diaries whether the original home built on the farm was log or adobe. We do know that the early pioneers built adobe homes.

Winslow Jr. left his descendants a number of diaries. The first diary began May 1,1856 and concluded with the final entry on July 10,1910. There are several gaps in these diaries of a few weeks to several years; however, whenever possible we will use Winslow's own words to tell his life story. Each article in this series will quote portions of his diaries.

The first entry in the Winslow Farr Jr. journal reads:

"Winslow Farr Junior was born May 11, 1837. I now at the age of 18th and in my 19th year I do commence a brief sketch of my life beginning at May 1, 1856"

Early entries from his diaries are written in brief statements about his daily activities, with an occasional comment about the weather. Winslow wrote with more detail in his later years. His diaries give us a sense of the hard physical work and dedication the early pioneers had in their efforts to cultivate farms, build, homes and establish successful settlements. The pioneers also took time for social gatherings such as picnics, dances and weddings. Winlsow wrote in his diaries about playing his violin for many of these special occasions.

A common thread throughout his diaries, is his love of family and dedication to the principles of his religious beliefs.


"May 1, 1856 I worked at clearing land and at night I went to a May party it broke up about one oclock.

May 3rd it rained some through the day. I spent the evening to home

May 5th I worked at piling up brush from amonst the Cotton woods I spent the evening to home

May 8th I furrowed some ground for corn in the forenoon and in the afternoon I plowed for Br Bingham I spent the evening at brother Gibson

May 11th I was to my mothers and spent the day there it being my birthday I returned back to Cottonwood in the evening I being the age of 19 I haveing spent my life in traveling from place to place and I spent the evening to Br Thomas"

[Winlsow, born in Vermont, moved to Kirtland, Ohio as a baby. Thereafter his family moved to Far West, Missouri; Quincy, Illinois; Commerce, Illinois (now called Lima); Nauvoo, Illinois; Sugar Creek , Iowa (1846); Winter Quarters (Missouri River); Salt Lake Valley, Utah Territory.

Winslow Jr., born premature, was the smallest of his five other siblings. His sister Diantha was 9 yrs old, his sister Olive 12 yrs old and his brother Lorin was 17 yrs old & Aaron 19 yrs old at the time of his birth. Family tradition states that his mother's wedding ring would slide completely over his hand. When fully grown he was the largest and tallest of his family, standing 6'4"].

" May 15th I spent the forenoon in hunting my Oxen and in the afternoon I harrowed for Br Bingham"

[Barb wire was not invented until 1873. The early Utah pioneers built fences with wooden stakes, poles and brush. Most fences were built to protect crops. Cattle, horses and oxen were turned loose and allowed to free range for feed].

"May 20 I plowed for Br Bingham and James Andrus returned home from a trip to the flathead country &c"

[Winlsow as a young man was always willing to help his neighbors with heavy chores such as plowing, harrowing & harvesting].

Thursday 22 Father and Lorin and Br Kessler started for Big Cottonwood Kanyon along with President Young and Asociates I work at hoeing the weeds from amongts the wheat Father and Lorin Br Kessler returned from their trip to the Kanyon in the evening

May 27 I work at water some wheat the weather was very hot today Father and Br White work on the canal Wheat crops look as well as common Corn does not look as well as common &c

May 28 I spent the day in the forenoon looking for the cattle and in the afternoon I hauled up a load of wood and I fix my shoes I spent the evening to home &c

May 29 I went up to the city with a load of wood for my mother Almena went with me I returned in the evening

June 2 I work at watering wheat looks very dry it is Parch up with the sun &c to day a lot of men from the city came to work on the Canal and Clean it out for the purpose of carrying water to the City for irigation &c the President and Ferymorez Little Also Br Fox the Surveyor pass by and so forth our news from the States that theys is 150 hand carts has startted from the States for G.S L City &c

June 4 In the morning went to Br Thomson to brand some Cattle &c of A. F. Farrs to send to the herd a disrcription of said Cattle one White face cow 3 4 years old red sides branded F on the Left side of the rump &c in the afternoon I watered corn night is considerable cool"

The six foot four inch, 19 year old, wrote about his daily activities in his diary. Cultivating land near Cottonwood canyon at the foot of the Wasatch mountains in the Utah territory, he helped develop his fathers farm. Winslow was always willing to help his neighbors with heavy chores such as plowing, harrowing and harvesting. The following are excerpts from Winslow's diaries in the year 1856.

[1856, June]

Saturday 28 fine pleasant day but not quite so warm as common the wind has abated I commenced to water wheat up on the hill it looks rather heavy through the day father is watering wheat in the bottom I along with Joseph Clapp went over and stayed with William Gibson all night it was quite cool through the night

Sunday 29 the sun shown quite warm today I with Jos. Clapp Daniel Thomas went a Berrying up in Big Cottonwood Kanyon returned in the afternoon about four oclock but did not get many berrys I paid a visit to AC Miles I staid to home tonight it is rather cool.

[1856 July]

Tuesday 1 of July the sun showed a very smiling face this morning the sun was very warm in the forenoon in the afternoon the sky was cloudy a gentle breeze blowed from the south plowed out corn in the forenoon and in the afternoon I went over to George Thomson a cow and two yearlings which was taken over to a herd kept about 20 miles south of big Cottonwood the cattle was taken over to the herd on the 4th of June the heardsman brought them back on the account of a few troublesome Indians I got back from Thomson about 2 oclock pm I plowed out corn the rest of the day brother W. Casto thrashed some wheat today I stayed to home D Thomas stayed with me tonight

Wednesday 2 the sun rose clear and warm the wind from in the south news that they is 10,000 Saints that are coming on to the Valley this season gr****s have destroyed the crops in Cache Valley......this morning news came down by C. McIntire that my brothers wife was taken ill and nye unto death the disease is called Cholery.....Orson my cousin came down from the city to pick berrys & Br Covington has been thrashing wheat today glad to hear the hum of the machine once more.

Friday 4 the sky was quite hazy great things a going on in the City the firing of cannons and the playing of music flags were hoisted in diferent parts of the City.

Friday 11 the day was quite warm I went to work for Br Covington to thrash wheat he got done about 3 oclock wheat turned out quite well this season R Covington had 121 bushels of wheat

Tuesday 15 now and then a cloud to be seen considerable harvesting is going on in the valley This morning I went up to an Indian Camp they was very busy gathering berrys

Thursday 17 I started for the kanyon along with Daniel T Thomas we got there about 4 pm we left our waggons down to the foot of the mountain and took our oxen up to the Poles and while I was there I had one of my oxen hurt by a pole that fell across the small of his back it hurt him very bad in so much that I had to leave him by the roadside....

Saturday 19 it is quite cloudy the wind is in the south I am preparing to go to the kanyon I started about 10 am I got there at dusk the ox was worse and I concluded to kill him in the company with three others butchered him we got through about 12 pm we took the meat and put it on the wagon and brought it down to a shingle machine where we camped for the night

Monday 21 the sky was quite cloudy I spent the forenoon in taking care of the meat and borrowed a cradle to cut some oats in the afternoon I cut about ½ acre.....[a cradle is a frame attached to a scythe to catch the cut grain so it can be laid evenly] and account of the meat that we let go to different persons

to Mr. Cooper let have 30 lbs

to Mr. Andrus let have 103 lbs

to Miss M Clapp let have 65 lbs

to Bishop E. Lee let have 13 ½ lbs

to Mr Rider let have 49 lbs

to Mr D Perkins let have 69 lbs

to Mr Norwood let have 47 3/4 lbs

(total) 377 1/4

Tuesday 22 I see some teams a going in the kanyon to spend the 24 of July and also a band of music my brother came down from Ogden and all so my mother stayed to our house

Wednesday 23 great excitement for Big Cottonwood Kanyon to spend the 24 of July they was something liek 300 wagons and carriages my father and mother and brother and wife started for the lake in Big Cottonwood

Thursday 24 I went up to the city and returned to Orson Badger at 12 pm at 1 oclock pm they is a Picnic Ward Party at the 2nd Ward schoolhouse and I dined with them at 2 after the festival was over they prepared the dance which is to be held in the evening at 5 oclock I dined at ½ past 4 had a good dinner and we all met to participate in the dance which lasted until about 1 oclock am I helped to play the fiddle.

The following selected excerpts from Winslow Farr Jr.'s diaries reflect the early pioneer life in the years 1856-1857 on the Big Cottonwood farms cultivated south of Salt Lake City, Territory Settlement.

[1856, August]

Monday 4 It is quite cloudy. R Covington cradled wheat for us and I bound after him. It sprinkled some a little through the day but did not rain much during the night.

Wednesday 6 Very warm indeed. I work for D Thomas at binding wheat. People are very busy harvesting. We are cutting ours with all of our might

[1856 September]

Saturday 6 In the fore part of the day went up to Br. Norwood to get my boots mended but did not get them done. It rained little in the morning. I work at hauling brush in the fore part of the day.

Sunday 7 I stayed to home today. My father is to let his farm to I and J White and F Knolls for the space of one year.

Tuesday 18 I commenced to make ado bes. I finished Thursday, made 150.

Tuesday 22 Dug some in the ditch and husk corn in the evening. I was vaccinated for the small pox.

Monday 29 I was warned to train with the minute men but did not go on the account of fear of smallpox. Most of my neighbors are getting well of the smallpox.

[1856 November]

Monday 3 I started for the kanyon to log through Wednesday 5th. Got in enough logs to make 1200 feet.

Wednesday 19 Quit storming through the day. I work at putting over logs on the house.

Thursday 27 I started for Ogden city and on Friday 28 went to the theater.

[1856, December]

Monday 1 Quite stormy and cloudy. I was still in Ogden city. I visited different parts of the city. In time this city will be quite a place.

Tuesday 2 The clouds hung heavy and low around the mountains. At 8 o'clock in the morning I started for home in Big Cottonwood. I passed through the upper part of Bishop Kay's ward ... quite a hansome place. Farmington very pleasant place. It is situated close under the mountains. Very large school house erected on the Publik square. I put up at Cherrys Settlement, the distance of 28 miles from Ogden, which distanced I walked the following day. It was here I first heard the news of Brother Jedadiah M Grant death. Departed this world of trouble on Monday 1st of December 1856 after illness of three weeks.

Thursday 4 I attended the funeral of Brother Grant, the 2nd counselor of Brigham Young, The Governor of Utah Territory. All the band of music were there. Brother Heber and Brigham spoke well, and the funeral was at 12 to 2 in the afternoon.

Sunday 14 Quite pleasant through the day. A friend an me took our guns and went for a short walk and killed us a fine hare which made us a fine supper.

Wednesday 24 I felt quite well and made a willow basket. My father went up to the city and bought me a pair of buckskin pants.

Thursday 25 Christmas. It snowed all day. I went with father to Brother Tews to see about a steer of ours. In the evening I went up to Daniel Thomas's to spend the evening in learn ing how to dance. No dancing going on now. It is time of reformation and is doing great deal of good for it is now time for the people to wake up on that subject.

[1857, February ]

Sunday 1 Went to meeting. Broth er Kimball and Brigham the prophet preached. We had a good meeting.

Sunday 15 Quite pleasant over here. I went to meeting to the tabernacle and heard a speech from Arapene, the Chief of the Utah Indians, interpreted by Warren Snow. Brother Woodruff spoke to us. We had a good meeting.

[1857, March]

Thursday 12 I hunted cows - found them. Set stakes for brush fence. A band of Indians came here to farm and they wanted to learn to work. They also brought a line from Brigham Young to make them a farm.

Monday 23 It snowed a little Monday evening. Today I went to plow for the Indians. All hands turned out to plow. We put in seventeen acres of wheat. They seemed well pleased. Some of them know how to plow quite well. My father went to the city and brought the news that one of my brother's little girls was dead. She was taken sick Saturday 21 and died on Monday 23 (supposed to have brain fever by eating poison segeos through mistake). She was 8 years old and her name was Brianna Farr. Quite a sudden death.

[1857, July]

Saturday 8 Somewhat cloudy. Bound and cradled wheat. 7 of my ten minute men to train. Drilled some two hours.

Saturday 15 Quite warm. I went to train ing (minute men). Give my name as a volunteer to go back on the road if called on and to be ready for a minute warning. I returned home about 2 o'clo a grave for George Scoles who died F ck pm. I went and helped dig Another young man and myself sat up all night with the corpse. riday.

(Winslow's diaries record the many days he worked on the Robert D. Covington farm. Winslow composed a poem during this period entitled "The Belle of Big Cottonwood." We surmise it may have been written about Emily Jane Covington. The young couple was married at Washington Settlement in the Utah Territory on October 17, 1858. Winslow was age 21, Emily Jane was 15.)




Where big cottonwood waters run murmuring by,

As cold as the snow on the mountains high,

In a little log hut where the summer flowers grew,

There dwells a sweet maiden with eyes of true blue.

Chorus : She was fair as the flowers,

Neath her footsteps that grew,

And she won many a heart,

With her eyes of true blue.

She was lively and gay as the mountain gazelle,

And her voice like the notes of soft music did swell,

As she sang neath the shade of the sweet Hawthorne tree,

And laughed with a heart full of mischief and glee.


She could walk like a matron or play like a child,

She was gentle and yet as a deer she was wild,

Her parents looked on her with joy and with pride,

And many a bright youth sought to make her his bride.


Hers was the bright spirit that hovered around,

Wherever the boys at their labor were found,

In the kanyons so wild or at work in the field,

The thoughts of her smile a sweet plea sure did yield.


Salt Lake City was founded on July 24, 1847 by 148 Mormon pioneers led by Brigham Young. The group overlooked the valley from the mouth of Emigration Canyon and Brigham Young stated, "This is the place." A state-wide holiday on July 24, is decreed every year in the state of Utah to commemorate the arrival of the pioneers to the Salt Lake Valley.

On July 23, 1857 Mormons gathered for a two day rendezvous at Silver Lake campground in Big Cottonwood Canyon to commemorate the July 24 pioneer holiday. In the spring of 1857, without taking time for a thorough investigation, President Buchanan decided that a Mormon rebellion existed in the Utah Territory. Buchanan ordered the U.S. Army to march to Salt Lake City.

In the afternoon of July 24, 1857, word reached Brigham Young of President's Buchanan order and of the U.S. Army slogan, "On to Utah for war and extermination." The following excerpts from Winslow's diaries describe his observations and activities for the July 24 celebration.

[1857 July]

Thursday 23 I with my father and family started for the (c)anyon about daylight. We passed through the toll gate where we had to deliver our ticket for admittance. Roads quite dusty, (c)anyon well timbered. We passed a saw mill. Got there about 4 o'clock p.m. We then camped in an opening where they had a large lake and turned out our animals. We had several bands of music at night. At the sound of the bugle all were called to gather for prayers. After prayers we commenced dancing

Friday 24 Very cold in the morning. The camp arose at the sound of the bugle. After breakfast we (were) called to prayers as usual. After prayers several bands of music marched down to the lake. Some 200 yards from camp we had a firing of canons. The assembly then marched to the President's tent where we had some comic songs and a few speeches. We (were) dismissed for dinner. After dinner, went to dancing on floors made for that purpose (40 ft long 20 ft wide). I, with my cousin O. Badger, went to some lakes about 2 miles from camp. I caught a fish with 4 legs. I brought it to camp alive in my hand. Today we heard the news ... from the states that U.S. troops were on the way to the valley to kill off the Mormons. We had dancing all night. Next morning quite cold.

Eight days after the receipt of the news of the U.S. army preparing to march to Utah Territory, the pioneers, under the direction of their leaders, began to make preparations to resist the army from entering the Salt Lake Valley. Daniel H. Wells was selected by the legislature and authorized to choose commissioned officers to draft the systems of laws and regulations for the Mormon militia who called themselves The Nauvoo Legion.

Winslow Farr Jr. was selected to serve as a Captain of a 10-man militia team. During the month of August his diaries describe his daily activities of hauling hay, thrashing grain and helping others of the community complete their fall harvest. On September 15, 1857 Brigham Young issued a proclamation placing the territory under martial law.

Beginning September 11, 1857 the fol-lowing diary excerpts describe Winslow's beginning service with the militia.

[1857 September]

September 12 Quite warm. I got up about 3 o'clock in the morning to prepare to go to the city. We

started with 5 wagons, and 2 span of horses to a wagon, with provisions for 12 days. We got into the city at 10 o'clock and went down to the river Jordan and camped for the night. We trained some through the day. I kept guard at night.

September 13 Nice and warm. I got up about daylight and went after the horses which strayed away in the night. Took my breakfast at home in the city [His parents Winslow Sr. and Olive Farr resided in Salt Lake City where we assume he ate breakfast.] I then returned to the camp with my horses. We then trained awhile. We got our dismissal at 10 a.m. I with my 10 men went up to the (public) square to see the hand carts come in. I then returned home to Cottonwood.

The next eight days of his September 1857 diaries describe his daily activities on the farm.

Winslow's diaries contain a gap from September 21, 1857 through April 1, 1858 (perhaps he was called to serve in the militia). Winslow often carried a pocket journal. On several occasions in his diaries he describes losing a pocket journal.

[ 1858 April]

April 1 I was called by Bishop Andrus to go out to the mountains to prevent the soldiers from coming into the valley. (There were) something like 1,500 men that went out at the same time as I did. We started about 12 a.m. We arrived on the 4th on Weber river. We had to pack our poundage on our backs for about 25 miles on account of deep snow on the big mountain which hindered the wagons from going over. I was taken very sick on the night of the 3 rd . In the morning of the 4 th I felt some better. We traveled to Weber station the distance for 4 miles from where we (were) camped. Major Casper's battalion was ordered to go to a stream called lost creek about 10 miles west of Weber station. I am in this battalion with Captain Rollins captain of the 5th division. I enjoyed myself well while out there - helped build some battereys and make wickeups. My health is good. No fighting done yet. Not so much as a gun fired at the enemy. Everybody is moving out from the city of Salt Lake and the north country and moving south to what is called White Mountains.

In the late spring of 1858 President Buchanan sent a peace commission to meet with Brigham Young and other Mormon leaders. After months of preparation and drilling by the Mormon militia, an agreement between the Mormon leaders and the peace commission was achieved. Under the command of General Johnston, the U.S. Army marched peaceably into the Salt Lake valley on June 1858.

[ 1858 May ]

May 23rd Went rafting on the Weber river and lost my boots and socks which floated off the raft.

May 24 We started for home. I came in barefooted all the way. We got in Salt Lake City on the 25 th . The city is pretty well vacated. The soldiers have got in and are camped about 40 miles from Salt Lake City in Cedar valley. I returned home and (did) some harvesting.

With recent memories of burnings and mob attacks against the Mormons in Missouri and Illinois, thousands of the pioneer families abandoned their homes and moved southward.

The pioneers left behind their houses, orchards and farm, in Salt Lake City and various settlements of the northern Utah territory. With assurance from the church leaders and the commanders of the U. S. Army, the families returned in early July to reoccupy their homes and farms.

In 1857, twenty year old Winslow Jr. was selected as a Captain of a 10 man Mormon Militia team. The Militia was organized to resist the United States Army troops commanded by General Albert Johnson. The soldiers were rumored to be on their way to the Salt Lake Valley to "kill all the Mormons".

Meetings, held in the spring of 1858 between the Mormon leaders and the peace commission sent by President Buchanan culminated in a peaceful settlement. A gap from September 1857 through April of 1858 in Winslow's Diaries covers the months he served in the Mormon Militia.

[1858 May]

May 25 We got into Salt Lake City on the 25 th . The people were pretty nigh all gone when we arrived. I then went south to Lehi I returned and farmed some through the season The people have all moved back on or by the last of July

The Army has camped in Cedar City. Everything is peaceable at present.

There is another gap in his diary until September of 1858.

[1858 September]

In the morning September 27, 1858 I started with a horse team for the Cotton Country the distance of 350 miles I left Big Cottonwood I went as far as Lehi the distance of 22 miles There I stayed all night at Br Walker's Next morning I started a little before daylight drove 36 miles that day stayed all night at Br Manuels Next morning I traveled 24 miles and stayed at Br Braddely Foundered one of my horses quite bad Next morning I drove on to Chicken Creek a distance of 18 miles and fell in company with one B. Davis Stayed all night at this place My horse is a good deal better We started about sunrise the distance of 36 miles to Cedar Springs We traveled over some rough roads Cedar Fort is quite a small place not much farming land more for dairy cows Next morning we started from Cedar Fort a little after sun up Went to Fillmore 6 miles quite a large place situated close to the mountains Quite a large Statehouse commenced to rain I camped on Corn Creek small settlement here.

I started on it is still raining We went through Dog Valley and Pine Valley at the head of Wildcat Kanyon Rained very hard through the night Next morning we started a little after sun up got to Beaver about 2 pm rained today Stayed all night at Br. Farnsworth Bishop of that place Next morning we started for Parowan 35 miles from Beaver Got there about dusk Stayed all night at Br. Davis the man I traveled with on my journey Next morning I started alone for Cedar City There one hour by the sun the distance of 20 miles Stayed all night at Br. Jenkes Next morning I started for Harmony 20 miles got there about 2 hours by sun Stayed all night at Br. Lee's In the morning I started for Washington got there about 8 pm my animals stood the trip first rate

Winslow arrived in Washington on October 8, 1858 (a journey of 12 days). Today we travel this same route by automobile in 5 to 7 hours.

October 17, 1858

On the 17 th at 11 o'clock am I was married to Emily Jane, the Daughter of Robert D. and Elizabeth Covington ( Winslow was 21 years old Emily Jane was 15)

October 27, 1858 I with my wife started for Great Salt Lake Valley the distance of 350 miles Arrived there on the 10 th of November in good health I am living with my father the following season I farmed my fathers place for 1/3 of the crop He helped when he was able and boarded us until the wheat harvest Did not do very well this year I raised for my share 105 bushels of wheat 30 bushels of corn 20 bushels of potatoes and so on I do not know as this will ever be any good to anyone but to my mind I do write of these things at present.

Winslow's diaries contain a gap from, October

1858 through October of 1859.

November 9, 1859 I with my wife started for Cotton Country Got there on the last of the month in good health and spirits This place is called Washington County U. T. (Utah Territory) is a good place to winter no snow at all I am working for cotton and molasses Very warm here in the summer time I can set out doors and rest in the month of February or anytime The winter stock does well here in Cotton Country

[February 1860]

Friday February 3, 1860 At 2 o'clock pm our first child Winslow Robert was born

Tuesday 14, 1860 I quarried and hauled rock for a wall for my father-in-law very warm day

Monday 20, 1860 Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday I layed a stone wall for my father-in-law

Saturday 25, 1860 I got some trees to set out Killed a Beaver last Friday It weighed 45 pounds shot it with a rifle 125 yards off hand

[1860 February ] Washington, Utah

Winslow Farr Jr. helped his father in law, Robert D. Covington quarry sandstone and build a stone wall. In addition, Winslow drove cattle to mountain pastures, hauled seed cotton to the gin, helped bale cotton and plant trees. He also worked for others in exchange for cotton and molasses.

Monday Feb 27 I went after a load of wood for my father in law

Tuesday 28 I hunted cattle My dog killed a small wolf and helped to drive the cattle to the mountains I went with my family to Br Dibbles scenery of the martyrdom of Joseph and Hiram Also heard a recitation of Joseph's last speech to the Nauvoo Legion

Wednesday 29 I went with the company of Dibble and Holliday to Tonaquint 15 miles from Washington City, Utah where they held an exhibition of the scenery depicting the martyrdom of Joseph and Hiram Smith I played the violins during the showing We danced in the after part of the night

Thursday March 1 We returned home to Washington

Monday 5 th I helped to bail cotton quite windy bailed cotton all this week

Tuesday 13 In the fore noon we shelled corn in the afternoon I went to work on the road in Washington County Ut Worked the rest of n the road rained a little while I was there returned Saturday evening 9 pm

Sunday 18 I staid home and wrote a letter to my folks in Salt Lake City went in bathing

[April 1, 1860]

Together with my father in law started for Cedar City for flour quite windy camped at Grape Vine Spring quite an Indian camp here

Wednesday 4 We unloaded our molasses and cotton in the tithing office I left them till I start for Salt Lake City loaded up 12 bushel of potatoes 10 bushels of wheat 12 bushels of wheat in another place and took our wheat to the mill

Thursday 5 we started for Washington camped on Ash Creek very windy on Saturday the 7 th very windy we drove on through to Washington

Sunday 8 I went in bathing quite pleasant in the fore noon but very windy and stormy not very well today attended meeting

Wednesday 11 quite warm today our little boy was taken quite sick with a cold

Sunday 15 quite warm I went to meeting our little boy better

Monday April 23 We started for Salt Lake City we drove 16 miles an camped at Grape Vine Springs my wifes brother came with us turned out his horse and he got away from him and went home

Wednesday 25 we drove to Cedar City stayed all night at Br Woods

Thursday 26 we loaded 100 lbs of my cotton and 42 gallons of molasses at the tithing house

[Winslow, Emily Jane, and baby Winslow Robert continued their journey to Salt Lake City stopping to camp in Parowan, Beaver, Wild Cat Canyon, Long Canyon and Meadow Creek]

[There is a gap in the diaries from May 2, 1860 until September 25, 1860 which contains one entry].

[There is another gap in the diaries from September 25, 1860 until January 21, 1861]

September Tuesday 25 I together with 3 others killed two cubs of a bear and wounded the mother it was just before daylight in the morning we were very well prepared for the attack each of us had a rifle and a revolve a piece we had a wagon and box to prevent the old one from hurting us as she was very ferocious and mad the cubs weighed 40 lbs a piece and were fat and tender

[No location is given for this incident]

[Winslow and his family, were called to move to Cache Valley, Utah to help establish a new Mormon settlement. We believe this was in 1860]

Winslow, Emily Jane and family resided on a farm in Mendon Cache Valley, Utah until January 1861. The family then sold the farm and moved on to Paradise, Utah.

[No date of entry] Our first child Winslow Robert was born February 3, 1860 at 2 o'clock PM Washington County Utah Our little boy Winslow Robert died on the 15 July 1861 in Paradise Cache County Utah with a disease of the lungs after two months sickness

Emily Olive the daughter of Winslow and Emily Farr was born February 15, 1862 Paradis Cache County State of Deseret on Saturday 11 o'clock PM I sold out my farm Mendon Cache Valley and moved to Paradise on May 1[1861] and commenced me a new farm raised 150 bushels of wheat

[Paradise Cache County 1861]

I was voted on the fence committee shortly after I came there I was appointed school house committee or one of them on the 3 rd of March I was elected constable for Paradise and so far as I know I have tried to do my duty I am well respected in this place at present

[Paradise Cache County 1862]

I have been very busy this winter/1862 in logging and building sheds and stables and corrals Very long and hard winter and late spring stock looks poor I expected to sent one yolk of cattle to the states this season to help the poor and I did so

Pioneer communities always managed to arrange time for their entertainment. Family tradition states, Winslow had a favorite saying, " I am not a musician, I just love to fiddle around ". His talent must have been in great demand for throughout his diaries he writes about playing his violin for weddings, priesthood dinners, missionary farewells, dances and many other social occasions.

A modest man of few words, he never gives any details abut these social gatherings. The following diary excerpts are typical of his acknowledgment of playing his violin.

[ January Friday 18, 1861 ] I helped to play the violin for George Baker's wedding affair It came a very hard wind storm Very Cold

[ January Tuesday 22 ] I walked from Wellsville to Mendon and played the violin.

February Friday 15 th I went to Wellsville played the violin enjoyed myself well

Tuesday 19 th Cloudy. Played the violin for the teachers party.

Wednesday 26 It snowed some. At night I played the violin.

Tues 27 I went to Wellsville to play the violin Had a good time.

There is a gap in Winslow's diaries from March 1, 1861 through and May 1962.

Winslow and Emily Jane's first home in Paradise, Cache Valley, Utah was a single room dugout in the side of a hill. A fireplace located at one end of the dugout held an iron kettle for cooking in addition to providing heat for the room.

Their first child, Winslow Robert, born in Washington, Utah on February 3, 1860, died in Paradise, Utah at age one on July 15, 1861. Their children, Emily Olive Farr, Lafayette Thomas Farr, and Lorin Freeman Farr were born while they resided in this "dugout" home.

Years later Emily Jane often told her grandchildren about the times young people rode their sleighs over the top of their dugout home.

Winslow Jr.. was selected as Captain of the Minuteman Militia in Paradise. The militia organized into groups of men to work in the fields and to provide protection from Indians who would often raid the settlement for cattle and horses.

[ 1862 Thursday May 1 Paradise Cache Valley, Utah]

I went to the kanyon for a stringer to build a bridge on east fork of the creek. We took our team for the logs

Saturday 3 rd I went to work on the bridge to cover it and it was finished

Monday 5 th all hands turned out to plow for Br WM Humphreys Our teamster for the United States this season

I was foreman today in charge of the plowing We plowed 8 acres and put it in good shape

Tuesday 6 th I plowed a piece of land for garden patch

Saturday 10 th I planted potatoes in the forenoon In the afternoon went with Br Jerome Remington to pack over some store goods from Box Elder

Sunday 11 th My birthday I am 25 years old today was born in the church and passed through much trial and persecutions with the Saints moving from place to place

The diaries contain a gap from May 1862 through May 1863.

[1863 May 6 th ] I with eleven others started for the mountains to hunt for stolen horses taken by the Indians After riding hard all day till most of the night we found old Segwitch and 3 men with him and sqaw and 3 children We did not find the horses but took one Indian prisoner home with us On our way back a man by the name of Spence Neilson had his right leg broken above the ankle by his horse falling down on a side hill We had to carry him some of the way on our back It was about 7 miles from home We sent one Indian back for the horses

Thursday 7 th I helped to guard the prisoner in the night for some of our horses were stolen by the Indians Found part of horses in the evening Sent a express to Millville to captain Frank Weaver that Segwitch had been moved downed to Paradise The boy had come without the horses

Saturday 9 th The captain came with a force of men and took all the Indian prisoners and kept them till Tuesday morning

Sunday 10 th No meeting

Monday 11 th My birthday I made a lariat

Wednesday 13 th We organized to companies to work in the fields Made me captain over one company

Saturday 16 th We went to work on the ditch at the fort report came that the Indians have taken some cattle and horses We raised 16 men on horseback I took charge of 7 of them and divided them We went over the mountains but did not find anything

From May 18, 1863 until 1868 there is a five year gap where Winslow's diaries are missing and presumed lost.

Other sources advise that Winslow sold his farm in Paradise, Cache Valley Utah in or about 1867 and moved to Ogden, Utah where he bought a lot from his brother Lorin Farr and built a home on 20 th and Washington Blvd . Winslow worked in several different departments at the ZCMI co-op store in Ogden.

On March 8, 1868 Winslow was called to serve on a mission, for the church, in Great Britain . He traveled by mule train to Laramie, Wyoming where he embarked on a train for New York City where he set sail on the steamer France for Great Britain. He labored in the Liverpool Conference area under the direction of Moroni Ensign.

His pregnant wife, Emily Jane Covington Farr, remained in Ogden, Utah with their three children, Emily (six), Lafayette (four), and Lorin (two). Emily Jane, with the help of family, planted and harvested her own vegetable garden.

In addition she took in washing and ironing to support herself while Winslow was on his mission. She was paid 50 cents per bundle for laundry.

Their fifth child, David James, was born on August 6, 1868.

lost because the next entry we have begin with the date March 18, 1869 and the notation second missionary diary.

We know from other sources that in the spring of 1868 Winslow was called to serve a mission in Great Britain.

The following letter written by Winslow to the President of the British Mission, provides an outline of his missionary service on the British Isles.


Liverpool, July 12, 1870

President Horrace S. Eldredge

Dear Brother, As it has been the custom of the Elders before leaving Europes's shore to give a brief sketch of their missions to these lands, I may say that in April, 1868 at a conference held in Salt Lake City I was called to go on a mission to Europe, or the British Isles. In response to that call and in company with Elder J. M. Ferrin I left Ogden in June and joined Capt. Loveland's mule train, bound eastward for the emigrating Saints.

We arrived at Laramie City in July, then the terminus of the railroad. We were soon joined by more of the missionaries, and we took our departure by rail for New York arriving there safely after a pleasant ride. We went onboard the steamer France , and arrived in Liverpool July 31, came up to 42 Islington and were kindly received by the brethren in the office.

Soon after my arrival, I was appointed to labor as Traveling Elder in the Liverpool Conference, under the direction of President M. Ensign. In August 1869 President Ensign was released to return home and was succeeded by brother George Romney as President. I continued my labors with brother Romney until October 1869 when I was appointed to preside over the Kent Conference. In connection with brother George Barton I labored there to the best of my ability to build up the Saints and to forward the interests of the kingdom of God in these lands.

As I soon expect to return to my mountain home, I take this opportunity of bidding the Saints farewell, and thanking them kindly for their kindness unto me since I came to England. I feel to say may God bless them, preserve them in the truth, and open up their way to be gathered to the peaceful vales of Utah in the due time of the Lord.

I will now conclude, praying God to Bless you, brother Eldredge, that you may have joy in your labors in this mission, and may similar blessings rest upon all your co-laborers in the cause of truth.

Yours in the Gospel covenant, Winslow Farr


Winslow's letter to President Eldredge indicates he served as a traveling Elder in the Liverpool Conference. A map of Great Britain and Winslow's diaries reveal he spent time in villages situated north of Liverpool. His territory covered the area as far north as the communities of Preston and Kirkham (approximately 50 miles).

His diaries reveal he and his companion Br. Moroni Ensign traveled by train, bus or in many instances walked as far as 10-15 miles to reach the next village. On rare occasions they stayed at a hotel; however, most of their meals and sleeping quarters were provided by the members of the church.

His dairies reveal that after a week or two of travel he and his companion returned to spend a day or two at a boarding house in the village of Bottle (a small seaside village 5 miles north of Liverpool). Here they received their mail, answered letters, studied the scriptures or perhaps enjoyed a stroll along the sea shore or visited the harbor to observe the activity on the shipping docks.

Winslow's second missionary diary covers March 1869 to May 1870.

[March 18, 1869] Southport, Lancashire (Southport is a seaside community 20 miles north of Liverpool). Eat breakfast at Br Bartons went up to Thomas Carrs ate dinner then we went for a walk on the seashore We called a meeting at Br. Carrs for bearing our testimony I addressed the Saints for short time Staid all night at Thomas Barton

March 19 Left Southport by train at 12:30 for Leyland. Got off at Croston station walked three miles it rained very hard Staid all night at farmer Tattersal.

March 20 Walked from Leyland to Preston. Eat dinner at Mr. Parkinson Lanz Merchant Eat supper at John Topping home Staid all night at Hugh Claytons

March 21 Fine morning went to meeting . I addressed the Saints eat dinner at Mr. Parkinson Br. Clayton's girls called for me and we went to see Mrs Gregson that once belonged to our church. Eat supper with them It is the first place that Br. Kimball and Hyde staid all night when they came to Preston went to meeting and addressed the Saints for 3/4 of an hour staid all night all Hugh Claytons

March27 met with Br. Ensign we visited Mr. Kays had a talk on the first principles of the gospel also visited one John Golden and enlightened his mind on the gospel eat supper with him we then came up to Br. John Kays and met with those that desired to be baptised I officiated the names of those that were baptised they are Mrs Harriet McDonald, Mrs. Ann Holden and Alma Briggs, John Holden, and Benjamin Kirkhan. Staid all night at Br. Briggs at Bull Hill Br. Ensign was with me

March 28 Very windy we were waked up by the call of some more that wanted to be baptised we got up and we walked two miles to a place that nature had formed for the purpose. I went into the water and baptised four persons, Ms. Fheobe Briggs, Ms. Catherine Briggs, Mrs. Henert Fish, Mrs. Dorothy Knowles. We came back to Br. Briggs eat breakfast and went to meeting half past two o'clock we confirmed the new members and addressed the saints. Slept that night at Br. John Briggs.

In the spring of 1868 Winslow Farr Jr. was called by the church to serve a mission in Great Britain. Winslow's first missionary journal from the spring of 1868 to April 1869 is missing. His second missionary diary begins with the date of March 18, 1869 and concludes on th date of May 28, 1869.

Winslow arrived in Liverpool, England July 31, 1868. He was appointed to labor as a traveling elder with President Moroni Ensign as his companion.

The following excerpts from Winslow's diary records events the few days before he and brother Ensign journeyed to Belfast and Dublin, Ireland. This is followed with a diary description of their travels in Ireland

[ April 11, 1869 ] Sunday went to meeting at Liverpool Bore my testimony went with Br Ensign up to Br McLeerys to dinner afterwards went up to the Botanic gardens had a look around and came to an open place and held a meeting in the open air I read some in the Bible Br Ensign made a prayer I opened the ball on the first principles of the gospel then Br. Ensign spoke for some length after we got through some men shouted and asked how many wives did Brigham Young have we want to know that before you go any further(unfortunately Winslow does not record how they handled this question)

[ April 12] very fine morning wrote in my journal went down with Br Ensign to the sea and had a good bathe came back and wrote to my wife and went for a walk around the docks to see the shipping.

[ April 13 ] very fine morning went out for a walk got very bad cold went up to Liverpool called to see our photographs was pleased with them they were not quite ready Br Ensign went to get his boot mended I went up to 42 Islington (church offices) came home in the evening to Bottle

[ April 15 ] Cold not much better went out for a walk to the railway station wrote some in my journal Br Ensign and myself went down to the exchange station to take train for Fleetwood left Fleetwood by the steamer Prince Patrick for Belfast at half past eight a.m. We went steerage passage very rough weather on the way cost us 5 shillings

[ April 16 ] we landed and went up to Br John Reid at 15 Christopher street at Belfast met with Br Reid he received us very kindly we ate dinner with him and we went out for a walk Br Reid took us around the principle streets in Belfast see some very fine buildings and had walk around the docks rained quite hard bought me an umbrella for 4 shillings stayed all night at Br Allens very comfortable

[ April 17 ] fine morning after breakfast Br Ensign and myself and Br Allen and son all went to Cave Hill and had a view of Belfast and the entrance from the bay the hill takes its name from a cave in the hill we came across the fields and hills and see some linen plantworks we stayed all night at Br. Allens

[ April 18 ] fine morning went out for walk came back from meeting address the saints a short time not a very large branch here after meeting went for walk held meeting in the open air and preached to people as they passed by Had very good meeting Came back to Br Reids eat supper stayed all night at Br Allen

[ April 20 ] fine morning Br Allen got my boots mended and made me a present of a pair of socks and a linen pocket handkerchief after dinner Br Ensign and myself and Br Allen went up to the hills had another view of Belfast and a distant view of lake Neigh 24 miles long 12 miles wide it is a splendid scenery to look at also see Londerry Tower in the distance this is in the North of Ireland I like this portion of Ireland very well

[ April 21 ] Thomas Allen and myself went down in the city and called at the railway station to see what time we could get a train for Dublin visited some linen works which are very nice after dinner we had a ride on an Irish jaunting car and visited the old Parks Prince Works of linen went through all the various departments which was very interesting it prints 60 yards per minute 6 different colors stamped by copper rollers revolving pocket handkerchief is printed by hand with wooden blocks and copper dies in them met with the Saints in the evening had very good meeting

[ April 22 ] we took train from Belfast to Dublin at half past 10 the Bretheren went down with us to the train station we past through some very rough country farmed by poor people soil not very rich aslo see some very nice scenery It rained very hard during the day we arrived at Dublin at 20 to 5 in the evening we called at 116 upper Dorset street at Br Browns he was not in we got a card for the daily hotel on wine tavern street we called for supper after that was over the Bretheren came in to see us we soon got aquainted stayed at the hotel

[ April 24 ] fine morning Br Ensign and myself went up on the Lord Nelson pillar 134 feet in hight 168 steps winding stairs and had a birds eye view of Dublin the capital of Ireland 300,000 population also a distant view of Dublin Bay and surrounding hills also we went to see the American Prize lady 19 years of age weighs 564 pounds eat supper at Br Hughes we went in the evening to Mr. Henhler Circus it was splendid the best I ever saw I enjoyed myself well stayed at the hotel

[ April 26 ] fine day Br Ensign and myself went up to Glassniven cemetery it is the most beautiful Burial place that I ever saw

[ April 27 ] fine day Br E and myself went out to Pheonix Park for walk see great many deer came back and ate dinner at Br Hughes held meeting in the evening at Br Hughes I addressed the Saints for short time stayed at Dalys hotel

[ April 28 ] quite windy went out for a walk to the North Strand inquired at the ticket office what time a steamer would sail for Liverpool

[ April 30 ] Sister Hughes came with us as far as the boat we set sail a little after one o'clock P.M. on the Paddle Steamer Trafaljar had very rough sea Br Ensign was sea sick we hired a birth 2 x 6 feet got into Liverpool about 2 o'clock in the morning but did not go ashore till half past 6 came up to Bottle eat breakfast went out for a walk wrote in my journal received a letter from my wife we then went up to 42 Islington to see the Bretheren and got our likeness eat supper at Br Chadwick came home to Bottle

Our excerpts selected from the Diaries of Winslow Farr Jr., as printed in Chapter 10 of Winslow Farr Sr. newsletter, reveal a brief description of Winslow and his companion missionary, Moroni Ensign's journey by ferryboat steamer to Belfast, Ireland.

[ April 15, 1869 ] Br Ensign and myself left Fleetwood (England) by the steamer Prince Patrick for Belfast at half past 8:00 Am . We went steerage passage very rough weather on the way cost us 5 shillings .

On April 22 they traveled by train to Dublin Ireland. On April 30, 1869 Winslow Jr. and brother Ensign set sail from Dublin, Ireland bound for Liverpool, England.

[April 30, 1869] We set sail a little after one o'clock PM on the paddle steamer Trafalgar had very rough sea Br Ensign was sea sick we hired a birth 2x6 feet got into Liverpool about 2'o'clock in the morning but did not go ashore until half past 6:00 AM

Winslow and brother Ensign's ferryboat journey from Ireland to England took more then 9 hours. Imagine traveling from Ireland to England today on a paddle wheel steamer across the turbulent North Sea to Liverpool , England. I imagine they used the extra hours on board ship to recover from seasickness.

In contrast, in September of 1998, my daughter Claudia and I traveled on a super modern Stena Line ferryboat from Holyhead, Wales to Dun Laoghaire, (A deep water port a few miles south of Dublin), Ireland. Our pleasant trip on this super luxury smooth riding ship carried 1600 passengers and 375 cars and took a little more than one and a half hours. The Ship had comfortable seating with large windows that gave a wide vista of the sea. The on board facilities included an interesting gift shop, a bureau for money exchange, video arcade, children's play area, Ben and Jerry's Ice cream bar, O Brien's sandwich bar and a beautiful dinning room where Claudia and I enjoyed a delicious lunch of broiled Salmon, vegetables and fresh baked brown bread. Upon arrival we rented a car at the Dublin airport.

Claudia handled all of the driving (on the wrong side of the road for American drivers) We toured all of Northern Ireland. Upon our return to Dublin, Claudia drove the car to the ferryboat landing where the auto companies had a garage for rental car returns. We boarded the ship for a pleasant ferryboat ride to Holyhead, Wales; thereafter we boarded an express train for London.

Winslow's missionary travels to various cities and towns were often by train or bus; however according to Winslow's journal it was not unusual for he and his companion to walk distance of 3 to 20 miles between small country villages.

Entries in Winslow's diaries are brief and taciturn. He exhibited rare emotional responses to his daily activities. His writings reminds us of TV's detective Sgt. Friday's "Just give me the facts mam"; however, on occasion his observations give us a glimpse into how he felt at the moment.

His diaries and a few surviving letters are a special gift to his descendants because they reflect his personality, love for his family, including his dedication to his religious beliefs.

[ May 2, 1869 ] Sunday fine day we went to :Liverpool to meeting bore my testimony to the truth of the gospel eat dinner at Br Mooves we went over to Birkenhead addressed the Saints

[ May 3, 1869 ] damp morning wrote some in my journal and wrote to my wife rained quite heavy Br Ensign and myself went up to Br Lemmons eat supper Come back to Bootle

[ May 4, 1869 ] quite cool wrote to Mary Covington (his first wife Emily Jane's sister) Went out for a walk wrote some in my journal Br. Glossop is here and expect to start for Utah tomorrow he came the same time as I did but did not enjoy the spirit of his mission and wished to be released we went up to 42 Islington eat supper at Br Chadwicks came back to Bootle

[ May 11, 1869 ] fine morning left St Helens Br Sm came out aways with me today is my birthday 32 years of age

[ May 13, 1869 ] fine morning Came over to Orrell eat dinner at Br Baldwin after dinner went with him down in a coal pit went up where the men were working the shaft is 75 feet deep then runs with a short down They keep a donkey to pull the trucks of coal came out of the pit and walked to Br. Berrys

[ May 15, 1869 ] left church for Bolton on foot eat dinner at John Colliers Took bus for Manchester arrived at 3 o'clock found quite a number fo the Bretheren went with Br George Lake from Ogden who was called up at last Salt Lake City Conference said my folks were all well Br. Ferrin and myself went out to Br. Snave at Cheetham Hill and staid all night Went to a tea party had a good time

[ May 17, 1869 ] went with some of the Bretheren to railway station came back to the Conference House 4 of the Bretheren and myself went to see the siamese twins and the giant Miss Swan 7"11" tall we then took bus for the Bellvue Gardens six pence to go in it is beautiful place a large collection of animals and fowls nice panted scenery and dance hall and good music and fireworks in the evening which was grand

[ May 23, 1869 ] we attended Conference with Elders from Utah had a good time most of the Elders spoke I had the priveledge of addressing the Saints we had a gentile reporter that took the minutes of the meeting it was printed in the papers the next day

[ May 24, 1869 ] I with the Brethren went up to the botanic garden a very nice site came back to the conference and eat dinner and then took train for Manchester and staid all night at the conference house.

[ May 25, 1869 ] Quite rainy Wrote some in my journal Br Ferrin went with me to the station I took the train for Bolton Arrived safe I then walked over to Darwin stopped at Bull Hill with Br Briggs met with Bro Ensign he had been very sick but he is now able to stand

[ May 27, 1869 ] quite windy went aways with Br Ensign I feel dizzy and sick to my stomach came down in town and visited the saints staid all night with Br Knowles

[ May 28, 1869 ] fine morning feel better wrote some in my journal and played for a time on the Harmonium visited the saints staid all night at Br Knowles

We know that Winslow played the violin (sometimes he called it the fiddle); however, we never knew that he played other musical instruments especially the Harmonium (see picture below)

The following selected excerpts are from Winslow Jr.'s Missionary Diary from June of 1869 to September 1869.

[June 1, 1869] Warm day Br Ensign and myself went up to Princes Landing to see the Saints go on board Minnesota for New York 110 Saints and plenty of foreign people besides Br Elias Morris Captain of the Saints and Orson Holbrook assistant went on board with several of the elders and see them all comfortable We bid them adieu and came back to 42 Islington (Liverpool, England) Met one of the new missionaries from Zion named Br Mousley

[June 2] Cloudy wrote in my journal went out for a walk and helped to make out a list of those who would like to have emigrated this year went down to see the Minnesota go out supper at Sister Grices came back to Bottle (seaside village north of Liverpool)

[June 5] quite warm finished the book accounts went of the 42 Islington Got measured for a coat cost 2 guineas also bought me a pair of new shoes

[June 10] wrote to Br Stuart went up to 42 Islington met with eleven of the new missionaries from Zion was glad to see them and attended meeting Br Eldridge came back with me to Bottle

[June 12] came down to Bottle Br Price came with me We started for Ormskirk we arrived at farmer Peets at Narrow Moss staid all night Feet quite sore

[June 17] wet and cloudy it is one year ago today that I left my home to go to Europe to preach the gospel and I still have a desire to fulfill my mission

[July 3] quite warm and pleasant helped to make up the accounts Br Jacobs and Teasdale came down here and we went down and had a good bath in the sea we then went to see some Japanese Juglers One man lay down on his back and put up his feet and balanced a 30 foot ladder on his feet then a small boy went up the ladder and stood on his head and then on one foot he pulled to the ladder apart and stood on one side another trick was a ladder 30 feet with another part cross ways on the top and the boy went out and performed on it he also performed some slight of hand tricks

[July 18] quite warm I with some of the Brethren and Sisters went to a Baptism I baptised 3 One by the name of Ann Briggs and her daughter Ann and William Fish

[July 27] went down to the steamship Colorado see the Saints on board stood guard all night

[July 28] the Saints set sail for New York all feeling well

[August 1] Sunday attended meeting at Liverpool eat dinner at Br Chadwicks Br Romney and myself went over to Birkenhead and attended meeting bore my testimony

[August 7] Br Romney and I went to St Georges Hall heard a musical concert on the great organ staid at conference house

[August 25] fine morning went on board the vessel Minnesota and bid Br Ensign and the Saints goodbye found some Saints from Ireland but they were to late for the Minnesota we got passage for them on the City of Washington that sailed on August 26

[September 1] quite cool wrote in my journal Went out for a walk over to Birkenhead to a meeting spoke a short time and returned to Everton

[September 24] foggy went up to 42 Islington received two letters from home received my appointment to preside over the Kent Conference

[September 25] went up to 42 Islington to go with President Carrington to see the Nottingham Conference while a t 42 I received a letter from my wife with the sad news of the death of our little boy David James our youngest child that was born while I was on my Mission to England he was 13 months old when he died he died on the 6 th of September 1869 but as God gives he take away I felt to be reconciled trusting in God to help me overcome my feelings and help me to so live as to have our dear ones again also received the word of the death of Br of Ezera T. Bensen one of the twelve apostles

[September 28] fine morning after breakfast Br Lake and myself went up to Robin Hood Cave and the Ararbretum visited Br Cherry's grave who died while on his Mission with smallpox he was 24 years of age when he died he was from Cherry Settlement, Utah

Claudia Keyworth [Smith] (Great great granddaughter of Winslow Farr Jr. and Emily Jane Covington Farr) and her husband Jon Kimball Keyworth were recently introduced to the head of the Archives and Special collections at Brigham Young University. He graciously gave Claudia and Jon a tour of the new state of the art building recently built to to house the the Manuscripts, documents and Special Collections of the The Harold B. Lee library at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. He opened the file and gave Claudia and Jon the opportunity to view Winslow Far Jr. original diaries as well as letters, photographs that were collected and donated to the library in 1976 by Wilma Harris Smith (great granddaughter of Winslow Farr Jr.) and her mother Mabel Farr Decker. All of the various cousins and family members who donated these materials are named in this record. Any descendants of Winslow Farr Jr. will be given access to view the list of these materials. You must attend the archives to review the actual diaries and other documents in the file.

In the Spring of 1868 Winslow Farr Jr. was called by the Church to serve a mission in Great Britain. Winslow's first missionary journal from the spring of 1868 to April of 1869 is missing. His second missionary journal begins with the date of March 18, 1869 and concludes on June 5, 1870.

The following selected excerpts are from Winslow Jr.'s Missionary Diary beginning September 28, 1869 using his own words and spelling.

[September 28, 1869] Took train for Pixton where there is a branch of the Saints Br Carrington Lake and I had dinner with Br Rawson we then came up to the station to go to Mansfield we went to a meeting President Carrington called on me to speak to the people we had a good time together I staid all night at Br Hanfords

[September 29] fine morning we went over to Br Burton to breakfast Br Hanford made us all a present of two pair of socks each we went to a factory to be weighed and see the machinery I weighed 210 lbs we took train for Nottingham eat dinner at the conference house we took cab for the station and took train for London by the Great Northern Railway arrived safe at the King Cross station met with Br Shurtliffe took cab for the conference house on 20 Bishop Grove Balls Pond Road London met with some of the Brethern from the Valley staid all night at the conference house

[September 30] very fine morning in London went out with Br Howard Spencer to walk: after dinner Br Carrington Shurtliffe and Spencer and myself took bus for St Pauls Church we paid J and 2 to go through and up to the tower we went up to the clock and I help to turn the crank to wind it up it takes one hour out of 24 to wind it up we saw the bell which weighs 11-474 lbs it is 10 ft in diameter 10 inches thick clapper weighs 180 lbs tower is 404 ft from the ground we had a birdseye view of the city of London we then went down into the crypt and see the Duke of Wellington tomb and the cart his body was carried on at his funeral the wheels was cast out of guns that he took from his enemies see the tomb of Lord Nelson and many others the Duke of Wellington is buried in 4 coffins the inside one is made of pine next of lead third of oak 4 of mahogany it is then laid in a solid stone box we walked to the station and had an underground railway ride it rained quite hard staid at the Conference House

[October 1] foggy I received a letter from Mary Covington my wifes sister at Dixie Utah Br Carrington Shurtliffe Spencer and myself went to see the Kensington Musium it was a grand sight went through Hyde Park and St James Park and the House of Lords and Commons it is a very nice building also see London Bridge had boat ride on the river Thames had an underground ride on the train arrived at the Conference house tired and hungry

[October 2] quite foggy Br Knoulden Lake Spencer Nebker and myself went up to the zoological gardens and see a great variety of animals reptiles birds hippotamus rhinoceros and giraffe was the most attractive came back to the Conference house

[October 3] foggy we went to meeting at Barnes agricultural hall with 19 of our Elders from the Valley Brs Carrington Shurtliffe Lake Dewey Knoulden Spencer Price Shumway Eldrige Burton Garrett Tudenham Shipp Curtiss Nebeker Homer and myself Br Carrington spoke to us a short time he then called on me to occupy a short time which I bore my testimony to the truth of Mormonism to about 1000 thousand people saints and outsiders several of the Brethern bore their testimony we all eat dinner at Br Ferguson staid at the Conference

[October 4] very foggy several of the Brethern and myself went to Crystal Palace made out of glass beautiful ornamented with fountains and evergreens growing inside the building also ancient curiositys and statuary see a beautiful silk weaving machine which wove flowers and verses in a ribbon see some circus performers Professor Blondin walked the tight rope and carried his wife on his back about 20 ft from the floor see some magnificent fire works outside

No comments:

Post a Comment